Medical Malpractice Claims: Understanding the Complexities
The Levensten Law Firm recognizes the vital role of doctors in our society, especially in challenging times. However, there are instances where medical professionals may fall short of the expected standard of care, leading to potential medical malpractice claims.
The Nature of Medical Malpractice Cases
- Standard of Care Violations: These claims arise when a doctor’s actions deviate from the accepted standard of care in their community and area of practice, resulting in patient injury.
- Highly Contested Claims: Medical malpractice cases are often complex and strongly contested. Doctors vigorously defend their reputation and actions, while patients assert their injuries and losses.
Common Instances of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice can occur in various forms, including but not limited to:
- Misplaced medical devices
- Delayed or misdiagnosis of conditions like cancer
- Failure to obtain informed consent for procedures
- Surgical errors, such as leaving equipment inside a patient
- Negligence in monitoring during labor and delivery, leading to birth injuries
- Failure to identify critical conditions like bowel perforation, leading to severe outcomes like sepsis or death
Legal Requirements and the Path to Filing a Claim
- State-Specific Laws: Each state has its own legal prerequisites for filing a medical malpractice claim, such as obtaining an expert affidavit of merit.
- Investigation and Expert Consultation: A thorough review of medical records and consultation with qualified experts in the relevant medical field is crucial, often years before the actual claim is filed.
Seeking Legal Recourse for Medical Malpractice
If you or a loved one has suffered from medical malpractice, you may be entitled to compensation for personal injuries, lost wages, future medical treatment, and other damages.
Contact The Levensten Law Firm for Guidance
For those who believe they are victims of medical malpractice, The Levensten Law Firm offers a free consultation to discuss your rights to compensation and the process of filing a medical malpractice claim. Our experienced team is prepared to guide you through the complexities of these challenging cases.